• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jakeman

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

I am getting a divorce in RI and want to change my name to something other than my maiden name. What paperwork needs to be completed? Where do I get the forms? Are any lawyers or the courts involved in this process? Should I do this after the divorce process is complete or does this name change have to be documented somehow in the divorce paperwork?

Do you have any other advice or guidance concerning this change?

stephenk

while your divorce is pending, file the necessary paperwork to do a name change to whatever name you want to go with. there are notice issues that need to be completed before the name change petition is granted. hopefully, both the divorce and name change can be completed together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">