• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Properity ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi,

I simply need to be sure on one issue.I live in California.I am a homeowner.I paid off my mortgage completly in 1994 prior to even meeting my wife.

If a divorse were to take place would she have a right to any of my property owned by me prior to our marrage ??

Thank You.

stephenk

under the facts you presented, no your wife would have no rights to your property owned before marriage.

BUT, since marriage has there been improvements to the property, ie. new roof, room additions, add a pool, etc. If community assets (checking account) were used to pay for these improvements, your wife may be entitled to her half of the value of the improvements to your property.

talk to a family law attorney to be sure.

Same here..

This happened to my sister-in-law (on my wife's side). She married a man who already owned the trailer/property they lived in before they had gotten married.

She divorced him (becuase aside from cheating on her, never paid into the family budget for the bills).. and was told in court she had no right of ownership to the trailer or property since on community money of hers had been put into it.

As mentioned by the previous post.. had she paid for an addition, patio, pool, carport, etc. she would have gotten partial value on that.

Thank you both for the replies.Your help has clairfied things a bit.I do appreciate it.

Thank you..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">