• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seperation rites

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kujala2000

What is the name of your state? minnesota
my name is janice and i am seperated from my husband, we have 3 children in commen. after we were mairred my husband recieved an inharetance of property on wich we were already living on. sence we have seperated my husband has decided to sell the property and has said he doesnt want to give me any of the money. i do know for fact that he cannot sell the property with out my signature. but my question is ''can i demand to be paid at least half of the monies''? can i rufuse signing if i cant have the money? please help me out with this soon. the sale will be accurring within the next week or so and i need to know what i can do. thank you
janice

See about mutual property rights or..

Go to your local county clerk, ask if you are entitled to mutual property rights regarding the house. I'm assuming from what you wrote that your name is on the deed as well, which prevents him from selling it unless he risks having someone forge your signature and identity.

Even aside from mutual property.. if you are both on the deed, then you can simply refuse to sell until you can sit down with the Trust/Escrow company and REQUIRE that a separate check for your half of the proceeds be sent directly to YOU, not through him, via a check written solely in your name.

Until then, if you are both on the deed.. he can't sell the house out from under you without a Quit Claim deed.. so whatever you do.. don't sign anything that says Quit Claim on it. (Or you would be forfeiting your ownership to him.)

Wait until you've spoken with the trust/escrow company who would be handling the sale of the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">