• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a parking ticket on car I sold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtoggweiler

What is the name of your state? California

I just received notice in the mail of a parking ticket for a car I had sold almost two months ago, the city apparently still thinks I own the car. The situation could be more complicated however because I trusted the person I sold it too perhaps more than I should have.

My car had sustained significant body damage that wasn't worth my while repairing. A guy drives up to me when I'm cleaning out my car, offers his services to do body work, I ask him if he's interested in buying. He test drives the car and is very interested, says he wants to fix it up for his daughter, I agree. He's short on cash but the friend that he's with gives him the cash which he gives to me. It's late in the day, probably not time to smog it and go to the DMV. He says he'll take care of the smog test and all I have to do is fill out and sign the pink slip. I haven't done alot of buying and selling of cars in my life and dealing with cars was this guy's business, so I filled it out and signed, mailed the DMV the slip that says I sold the car, and gave him possession of the vehicle. At this point I don't know if he ever went to the DMV to get a new title for the car, I intend to find out tomorrow. If he hasn't and the DMV still thinks I own the car, what should I do? Is the car still mine? Should I report it stolen? I want to do what I need to do to protect myself. I can't contact the buyer, the cellphone number he gave me is out of service.

Thanks for your help,

Martin

stephenk

on the back of the notice of parking ticket you receive, there should be a place for you to fill in the new owner's name, address and phone number if your defense is that the car was not yours at the time of the ticketing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">