• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA accident claim - after previous accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ReginaKelly

Hello,

I'll try to be brief.

I'm 46, married professional. Perfect driving record.

June 22, 2001 (more than one year ago).

A 16-year-old at a four-way stop slams into my driver's side *rear* wheel well. Totals my 1991 Camry after spinning me 180 degrees. Keystone San Mateo cops arrive 15 minutes later, conclude I was to blame. I was incredulous, but nothing I can do.

Amica, my insurer, represents me at arbitration November 2002 with State Farm. They place my fault at 40% (other driver claimed I ran stop sign).

My legal research says because this driver was a minor, she has five years in which to sue me for personal injury. She sustained $2500 worth of physical therapy for alleged knee injury.

I sustained whiplash, followed by a year of physical therapy. Treatment complicated by prior history of fibromyalgia and thoracic outlet syndrome.

May 5, 2002

I am a passenger in an auto accident. The driver turned wrong way down a one way street, and stopped suddenly upon discovery. Driver following too close hit rear bumper. Though minor -- damage to her 1997 Camry was @$500 -- the impact caused compression in my C7, which continues to be problematic.

State Farm, my driver's insurer, has paid my claim and will continue to driver's $5,000 policy limit.

Meanwhile, the driver who hit us was driving an Alamo rental car and has no insurance. Plus he is nowhere to be found.

Alamo has contacted me, asking for medical release. Medical care providers agree this injury is different from prior conditions. But fibromyalgia and fascitis did make me more vulnerable and slows recovery.

Because of my prior conditions and previous accident, no attorney will take my case. I'd be willing to pay by the hour, but can't find one on that basis, either.

Any help is appreciated. Should I go along with Alamo's request without legal representation? Can I claim other damages? This has been a huge hassle and pain.

Thanks very much,
Regina Kelly

HomeGuru

There are hundreds of PI attorneys in CA and numerous in San Mateo. You talked to all those attorney's and every one told you no?

R

ReginaKelly

I spoke with six, several of whom came well-recommended as accepting "tough cases." All of whom flat turned me down. They all indicated that the case was too "muddy" and not worth their time.

Perhaps I am unclear on the purpose of this forum. Should I call every attorney in San Mateo County before posting here?

I was wondering if perhaps I do not need an attorney after all.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">