• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother of three filed for divorce .... whats next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twobright2nite

What is the name of your state? California

I filed for divorce in August of 2002 and I am
extremely unhappy with the outcome of the court
proceedings thus far.

I've been employed at the same employer for 15+
years, making a great salary. My husband has
been hiding under a workmens comp claim for 4+
years, claiming disability. He is no more disabled then anyone.

I was orderred to give him $2K/mo spousal
support - although he is NOT receiving state
disability and/or social security benefits!!
Doesn't he have to prove he is disabled and
can't go to work?? I'm puzzled by the entire
legal process.

Thx,
Tammy

A

aahlee

ahhhhhh finally equal rights for women has bit you in the butt!

you are able to support him, so stop complaining you have the high paying job.

what??? you'd rather make $8 an hour at wal-mart and not have to pay him?

does a Woman have to prove she is able to work so the Man can stop paying alimony?

Last edited:

stephenk

the problem is that your hubby was on workmans comp for over 4 years. his income was probably very low, right? Now, you knew he was receiving WC even though he wasnt disabled. Did you ever report him to the WC board or to his employer about his fraudulent acts? If no, the court probably took the position you cant complain now about activities you didnt complain about for the past 4+ years. you were a willing participant.

Now, you can report your ex to WC board or to his employer about his disability acting. if he is determined not to be disabled and released for work, you can have your attorney file a support modification request based on the salary your ex could earn if he worked full time.

A

aahlee

Stephenk:

so what you are saying is, a man can appeal the amount of his alimony payment, if the ex wife is a lazy slob and has no excuse not to work?

stephenk

not at all.

the poster said her hubby was faking some kind of work injury and had a work comp case pending for the past 4 years. hubby has a work history that the court can use to determine his salary. plus, his attempts to avoid working weigh against him.

now a wife who remains at home during the marriage as agreed upon by hubby and wife, has no work history during the marriage and/or no employable skills will be entitled to alimony when divorce comes up. depending on the length of the marriage and any barriers to wife learning a skill to enter the work force, alimony may be set for a certain period of years or for the life of the woman. nothing is written in stone.

plus the reverse is true if wife is the breadwinner and hubby stayed at home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">