• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AHR

I live in Virginia and was involved in an auto accident October 17th. I was in rush hour traffic which was stop and go at some points. I was stopped and another driver rear ended me going approximately 25 miles per hour. I was pushed into the car in front of me. I was taken to the emergency room and missed 2 days of work (Thurs & Fri) due to back, neck and soreness in my left arm. I have also had a follow-up visit with my own physician. I was in pain for approximately 5 weeks. I have a settlement amount from the other drivers insurance company but, the amount for pain and suffering seems low. How much should I expect to be offered and what are my rights related to negotiating? Thanks!

Alex02

Many people on here will say consult a personal injury lawyer because their are tons out there and they are beging to make some money from your settlement. The attorney will take a nice chunk of settlement money from you so I would just think of what a fair amount TO YOU would be and either accept or decline their offer. Dont be afraid to tell them i need more

stephenk

how much are your medical bills? did you go for any physical therapy? If yes, how long?

how much damage ($) was to your car?

what was the offer extended to you by the insurance company? What do you think your case is worth since you think the offer is too low?

A

AHR

UPDATE!!!!

I sent a letter to the insurance company with a counter offer. I indicated to them why I felt I was entitled to more money and explained how the accident had hindered my "quality of life" for the 5 weeks I was in pain. They contacted me and doubled the original amount they offered me for pain and suffering (my counter offer was a little higher but I thought they would want to negotiate). I am happy to say that I accepted the offer and the case is closed. Like most people say -- don't be afraid to ask for more money if you feel you are entitled to it. AHR

P

ProResearch

I'm happy to hear of this conclusion for you!

My case was similar, although the at-fault driver's insurance company adjuster gave me a fairly nice figure first (much higher than I thought they were start out with). I simply said, I didn't think that was a good amount. She gave me another figure $2,500 more. I said a few things in rebuttal like my medical damages were such and such and I was in treatment for 8 months. She agreed medical damages were reasonable and went up another $2,000 -- all in about 10 minutes of conversation. Although I wanted about $1,500 more (the figure I had in my 'heart'), I did accept the next day as .... I also got a job offer making LOTS of money and so the $1,500 just didn't seem important anymore :D

If you have a reason for wanting more, give them to the adjuster! Always ask more than you are willing to accept. If they accept liability and don't want a lawsuit they will most likely work with you and you will find a nice figure in between that you both can live with.

Just a side note: I am talking about "minor" or non-life-threatening injuries. With something major or with bone breaks or scarring, you will most likely need an attorney, who is experienced in personal injury AND litigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">