• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

amendment of divorce decree w/o notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bkhoff

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My fiancee was divorced in Sept. 01 and in March 02 received an "ammended" divorce decree which basically signed over his share of the original decree to his ex-wife and also changed the value of items so he now was supposed to give more of a cash settlement. He was never contacted through her lawyer or his about this impending amendment even though it states that it was agreed to by both parties. How can this happen? He never changed phone numbers or addresses so was available.

Next question, if I have a prenuptial agreement with my fiancee stating he cannot have any of my assets now or in the future, can his ex-wife come after my property also?

Thank you for your help.

stephenk

1. what does your fiance's attorney say about the filed amendment?

2. no, she cannot come after your separate property.

B

bkhoff

He was somewhat "shafted" by both attorneys. His attorney would agree to anything her attorney would write up and not consult him....she would always say that the judge would go with the woman's side. Needless to say they parted on not so good terms and he has not contacted his attorney again since. He was wondering if she was in on it but is it legal for her to agree without consulting him?

There was some game-playing going on during the proceedings. His attorney would try to contact her attorney, her's would never answer calls or letters, more calls and letters were made, no answers, and each time a call or letter is made the cost would ring up to the point he had to quit trying because he was charged each time by his lawyer and not getting any responses from the other side. Therefore, going into court was pretty much what her attorney would write up and his wouldn't fight any of it. It all sounds pretty confusing, but basically his attorney didn't do anything to help him.

Even if attorneys are friends, aren't they ethically supposed to work for their clients?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">