• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tried to give her money..woulndt take it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

c.captn

What is the name of your state? California.
My divorce was final in 1998. In the decree I agreed to give her 50% of my retirement account, 401k. I have tried 3 times to get her to take the money. My plan requires that the money go into another "qualified" plan. She just cant seem to get it together to take the money. How many times am I required to ask her to take the money. How many years am I obligated to try and give it to her. I am remarried now and am trying to make retirement plans.

C

c.captn

Well, I thought this was an interesting question, worthy of a response. Is there a moderator who might be inclined to help here? thanks.:(

G

grandpabri

It is court ordered that you give her the money. If you tired and she refused, I would think that you need to go back to court and have that part of the order vacated. Unitl the order is no longer in effect, you are bound by the provisions.

Any other opinions?

C

c.captn

It wasnt a mandate of the court, it was something I offered to do for her and it is now part of the decree. In fact, in court the Judge told me that I didnt have to do it, but it was "kind" of me to do so. It is definately a part of the decree. So, now do I need to go back to court and have it changed? Of course you know the minute I try to do that, she'll want the money. If I just did nothing, could she come back at me in 7 years and demand the money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">