• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

where to find out what court i was adopted in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hiskid264

What is the name of your state?
texas

i was adopted back 1983 or 1984 in the state of texas
i was taken away from my birthmom by cps and placed for adoption
her parental rights were terminated in august of 1983 and i was adopted
my foster family lived in pasadena or deer park at the time and my adoptive family in baytown
i want to have the court records unsealed but have no idea what courthouse my adoption took place in
how do i go about finding this out

C

craftymom

off the top of my head.....

Since CPS was involved, I would think *they* would be your "placing agency", and could probably tell you which courthouse.
I would think that your adoptive parents would know as well?

H

hiskid264

i know through the research i have already done that even though cps took me away the adoption was done through depelchin in houston and i am having no luck with them. my adoptive parents have not been exactly helpful.

FarmerJ

HIS listen carefully allthough it can be done it is much harder to for adoptee to find BParents , your birth certificate says what county you were born in and that part is going to be accurate . In some states they will not allow you to initiate a search until your 21 , check your own states law , then contact the agency who handled the adoption and ask for info , things like do they have there own search unit to locate your birth parent and see if the BP (s) will sign release of records . last you could search on your own date of birth , and state location info for state of birth and see if by chance either BP has posted searching to one of the boards . search for adoption registrys on line and also do look in categorys of other relatives searching too . sometimes its other family members who are looking also for the adoptee.

CMSC

Here is the largest registry online, there are people that swear by it maybe it will help!http://www.plumsite.com/isrr/

Here is the Texas state registry information, you could call them and see what they can tell you.

access to records

State guidelines found in:
TX Family Code Ann. Code Sections 162.018, 162.022, 162.401 through 162.416

Non-identifying information: AP*, AA

Identifying information: Court order showing "good cause". AA age of adulthood is 18. Each agency may have its own registry, but will be referred by central registry.

Passive Registry**
Central Adoption Registry Bureau of Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 140123
Austin, TX 78714-0123
(512) 458-7388 for AA, BP, BS

**all registries require 1 hour counseling

*The following abbreviations are used:

• AA=Adopted Adult
• AP=Adoptive Parent
• BP=Birth Parent
• BS=Birth Siblings
• BGP=Birth Grandparents
• CI=Confidential Intermediary

H

hiskid264

thanks for all your help. maybe i need also mention i have already located my birthmother and we have been reunited
i wanted to appeal to have my court records opened though

CMSC

hiskid264 said:
thanks for all your help. maybe i need also mention i have already located my birthmother and we have been reunited
i wanted to appeal to have my court records opened though
oh, yea that is an important tidbit. You need to start with the courts that terminated your birth mom's rights.

C

craftymom

Looked up all my legal papers last night. All information that I can give you comes out of the state of Virginia, not Texas, but hopefully it may spur an idea on what action you can take next.

Contact the Attorney General's office and ask to speak with someone in the Adoption Records (or Reports) section. Give them the information that you DO have.

your name (s)
date of birth
place of birth
month/year of b'moms TPR
adoptive parents names
birth parents names
name of adoption agency you were placed through

With all of that information, they *should* be able to look up and find what County your adoption was finalized in.
From there, let them know that you want to petition the courts to have your records opened. In my case, the Attorney General's office mailed to me a "sample" petition outlining what types of information I would need to provide in the petition.
Also, according to state law at the time (this was Virginia remember--and the law may very well still stand) one of the factors that the judge would have to consider was whether it would be harmful to any of the parties involved if the records *were* to be unsealed. Since you've already found your birthmom, and now know the location of everyone, it may make it easier (speedier) to have your petition heard.

Best of luck, and please come back and let us know how it turned out for you. :)

H

hiskid264

thankyou very much
i would imagine it is important
thanks craftymom
ummmm
what does month/year of b'moms TPR stand for
never heard that term before
one more question
any advice on whereto find the attorney general's phone number for their office
my guess is the phone book but is that the easiest
thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">