• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underinsured Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LynnR

My 14 year old son was the passenger in a one car auto accident in Oklahoma on November 11th of this year.

The driver, 16 years old, and 2nd passenger, 15 years old sustained minor injuries. However my son sustained massive injuries to his head and leg.

The only bill we have received to date has totalled $23,000.00 from the hospital, which of course does not include ambulance, surgeons, emergency room, and future medical procedures (removal of pin in his leg and skin grafting and laser surgery for scar removal on his head).

We were informed that the driver's auto insurance only has a $25,000.00 personal liability. Our own auto insurance has $10,000.00 under insured medical. Which combined will not pay for the medical bills.

We have been adviced by the Insurance Company (both the driver and our policies are with the same company) that the best way for us to handle this situation is file everything with our medical insurance. Use the $10,000.00 from our auto insurance medical policy for the deductable and co-payment. And file a "Friendly Law" suit for $25,000.00. The $25,000.00 would be put in a trust fund in our son's name and will not be available to him until he turns 18. By handling it this way the Medical Insurance cannot use the $25,000.00 as medical benefits and refuse to pay that portion of it.

When I asked the insurance company about the advisability of obtaining an attorney for advice I was told the attorney would automatically take 33% off the top of the settlement.

My questions are:
1. Can we obtain an attorney for advice on how to handle this for an advisory fee rather than a percentage? (We've never had to deal with an attorney before, so we have no idea how they work)

2. Does anybody who has been through the same type of situation, or has legal knowledge on it have any advice?

Alex02

1. Can we obtain an attorney for advice on how to handle this for an advisory fee rather than a percentage? (We've never had to deal with an attorney before, so we have no idea how they work)

2. Does anybody who has been through the same type of situation, or has legal knowledge on it have any advice?
1. You can do it either way but most Personal Injury attorneys are dieing for you to call them and explain your situation to them so almost all lawyers offer a free no-obligation consultation. When i went to one he told me I could either attain him as my attorney or look around more until im comfortable.

2. That sounds like some good advice the Insurance company gave you. I would get a free consultation from a Personal Injury lawyer in your area and then go from there. You might want to just work with whoever your going to be sueing and try to work out a settlement instead of hiring an attorney to do that for you if a settlement does actually occur.

K

Kevin O'Keefe

LynnR said:
M
My questions are:

I am very sorry to hear of your son's injuries.

A good caring plaintiff's trial lawyer will work with you on this so your son is best protected and so that the lawyer's fees will not eat up the compensation for your son. First you can speak with the best local lawyers at no expense and then decide how to proceed. Then if a contingency fee would not make sense, a lawyer could then do the work on an hourly fee or reduced fee.

There are many people who unfortunately have been in this situation. The key is locating and speaking with a good lawyer. That way you know what you are doing is right. Begin with lawyers who are members of your state trial lawyers association and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. Members of those organizations champion the cause of injured people.

If you have any trouble in locating a good local lawyer, just ask me or another lawyer here fro some names.

Take care.

- Kevin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">