• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet Adoption Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilsister

What is the name of your state? NY

I'm sure I'm not in the right place but this seemed to be the only fit. In June 2002, I adopted a puppy. The puppy/dog has a bad temperament and has been growling and snapping at us. The place we adopted him from made us sign an adoption agreement which states:

"Adopter will not give the animal away without first receiving written approval. If written approval is not given, and adopter chooses not to keep the animal, adopter agrees to make an appointment with NSAL for the return of the animal. Returns are subject to provision 17 of this agreement."

Provision 17 states "adopter shall not have the automatic right to return animal after 30 days from date of adoption. Acceptance of animals previously adopted shall be in the sole discretion of NSAL and is dependent on several factors including space availability and temperament of the animal."

Provision 16 says "Adopter will pay $500 as liquidated damages in the event Adopter breaches any of the provisions of this agreement."

Question is if they don't take dog back and we give him to another home we deem appropriate, do we owe them $500. If no one takes dog and we bring to pound after not receiving written approval of returning animal, will we be sued for the $500? Sorry - don't have $500 for a dog that's a bad egg.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I didn't realize that they have a contractual right to come into your home to see if the dog still is in residence.

Since they don't (you have a constitutional right of privacy), here's what you say and do if they should ever ask - -

You say: "The dog died last year. It was run over by a hit and run car and we buried it."

What you actually do: Take it to the dog pound.

IAAL

lilsister

Thanks for all your responses. It's a sad situation to be in and once we re-read "the agreement" we were surprised at all it stipulated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">