• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military wife needs divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vette

What is the name of your state? california.

My daughter has a problem. She has found out her husband who is in the military (Navy) that he is commiting fraud, theft, and purgey. He told her that if she told, he would make sure that his mother would get custody of there children. What does she need to do? Will she go to jail for his crimes?

The navy legal service is on his side? How long can this go on? She's afraid of losing her daughters because she found out he commited fraud. Lied about having a family and supposed to be married to someone else in the Carribean? What kind of military attorney does she need?

What kind of trouble will he get into? how much time will her serve?

A

aahlee

Now do you finally understand why your daughter should have been taught to earn her own money, pay her own bills, and have money put aside in her own bank account, just in case she winds up with a jerk for a husband.

Then she could go tomorrow and talk to a lawyer and if she needed one she would have the money to pay for it.

got any money to loan her ..mom?

usmcfamily

Who is he committing those crimes against......the government as part of his military service or another person/entity in the civillian world?
She doesn't need, nor can she get, a military attorney. Military attornies (ie JAG officers) do not involve themselves in civil matters such as family law situations of the military members. They can provide information, direction and document preparation but NOT legal representation to her OR the husband.
She needs an attorney with experience in military law -- which should be VERY easy to find in the town where they are based because most civillian attornies in a "military town" have experience with matters such as this. She can attain a referral from the base legal office to an attorney in town with experience in military divorce matters or she can let her fingers do the walking in the yellow pages.......
If she KNOWS he is committing this fraud and it involves his military position she may want to consider reporting the activities to the proper authorities w/in the military because he would have a hard time fighting her for custody matters from a cell in Leavonworth.... And unless he can provide CONCRETE PROOF that she was involved (which she wasn't) he can't implicate her in the crimes. Also, unless he can prove her to be an unfit mother there is no reason to think that his mother would be given custody. To me this sounds like he is running a really good scare job on your daughter and as long as she buys into he has all the power.....I understand her being afraid because any mother would fear losing her child but she needs to call his bluff........

V

vette

I want to thank you all for the advice. My daughter is truly concerned for the children. She doesn't want to be a part of this scamming her husband is doing in the Navy. She completely understands the risk of being a single mother and she has her family to help her out. She is not concerned about the "other woman" It's the lies on the BAH and the lies on the BAS that he switched. He's collecting extra BAH from California, when they are in Virginia, where the BAH is lower.

Now what concrete evidence could he possibly have to state that she was involed in scamming the government, Navy of collecting extra BAH and BAS? the items he stole off the ship are office supplies, money from till, a paper shredder, flight jackets. As far as the money, he told her he put it back. But the other things are in the home. So now she is looking for an attorney who deals with military law. So what else can she do? what about going to his commanding officer? What if he convinced the female sailor "the other woman" to lie on his behalf to frame my daughter? what next?

usmcfamily

Is he having an affair with "the other woman"? If so, can your daughter prove it (ie has she or anyone else seen them together in places/times that weren't work related, e-mails or letters connecting them, etc)
As for the other issues -- she can go directly to his C/O......by going in and telling them about the things happening she is making it pretty apparent that she is not a part of the conspiracy. However, how long has she known about this (most especially the BAH fraud) and not come forward? By knowing about the BAH portion of this and not taking action to have it rectified she is taking part in theft from the government....the GOOD NEWS is that it is technically him (as the Active Duty servicemember) who is actually committing the fraud and she likely will not be charged or punished if she willingly comes forward and turns HIM in.........
I would suggest that your daughter make an appointment to speak with a chaplain on base -- she can use him as a conduit in all of this and everything they discuss will be confidential until she is ready to make it otherwise...;) The chaplain will be able to be with her as she speaks with the C/O and other proper authorities as needed and can help her through this process.....I would honestly suggest making that her first stop so that she can have someone within the military system helping her navigate this whole mess

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">