• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husbands adoption of child from prev.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shunkele

What is the name of your state? sfdg Illinois

My daughter was born in Illinois over two years ago. Her father has had nothing to do with me or my daughter since I was five months pregnant. He knew of the pregnancy and knew where I was but never made contact. His name is not on her birth certificate and he has never paid any type of support for my daughter.
We were never married.
In April I will be getting married and my fiance wants to adopt her as his own. We have since moved to Georgia and will remain here for some time.
I am not sure what the biological father's rights are- he has basically abandoned her and not shown any interest. My fiance loves her and he is the only father she has ever known.
Please help me and let me know where to start and what I need to do to give my daughter and father who loves and cares for her.

Sarah

usmcfamily

Your best bet is to come up with the $$$ for a family law attorney to process this. I say that because you would hate for bio-dad to pop up at some point in the future and make waves (he could very well do that) so you want to be sure this is done 100% to the letter correctly ...... and the best way to do that is to find an attorney with experience w/step-parent adoptions.....

S

shunkele

Thank you so very much for your reply. That is exactly what I am afraid of happening in the future and I want to be sure to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed.
Again, thank you for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">