• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

free phone

• Thread starter somanyquestions
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

somanyquestions

What is the name of your state? CT
Someone had mentioned that by law, you can get a free landline phone service (granted it is only incoming calls or you calling 911). Is that true? I do not wish to call the phone service asking for one and having an unknowledgeable customer service denying it. I couldn't find any category to put this question under.
Thank you. Greatly appreciate it.

P

pamela vandi

911 only

In Louisiana it is possible to get free "911 only" service. I don't know if such phones can get incoming calls. To see if this is available in your state, find a property with no phone service connected, plug your own phone into one of the wall jacks, and see if there is a dial tone. If there is a dial tone, try to make a local call. If you can make a local call, then someone has failed to cancel their phone service. If you cannot make a local call, then you probably have "free 911" service on that line. To verify this, you could call 911 and, if they answer, tell them that you are testing the line.

S

somanyquestions

thank you!

okay I will try. Thank you very much.

ellencee

Please don't call 911 to verify phone service!!!!

Call the telephone company or use the computer you are using to post here. Gain your information without using 911 as an information resource; someone's life may depend on those few minutes you are tying up 911 with this topic.

racer72

I just called a friend that works for a large regional telephone company. He said there is no such thing as free phone service for 911 only. And the idea of breaking into a home to see if the phone service is still hooked up can get you in lots of trouble. Don't do it. The information you need is in the front of your phone book (they are free almost everywhere, even to those without phone service) or call the phone company and ask them. My telephone company offers a plan that costs $9.95 a month plus 4 cents a minute for all outgoing local calls. Incoming and 911 calls are free and the line cannot be used for toll free or long distance calls. It does cost about $75 to get hooked up though. My friend refers it as their trailer park phone service.

The only laws that apply to free phone service for 911 calls applies to cell phones only. All cell phones sold (or given away) must be able to call 911 even if the phone is not connected to any cellular phone service provider. If all you require is a way to call 911 and do not have a phone, many social service organizations can provide unsupported cell phones free of charge just for that purpose. I donated my old cell phones to a group that helps battered women. Most social service organizations can point you in the right direction or you can pick up old cell phones cheap. This applies to phones made after 1996 though, older ones will not work.

Last edited:
P

pamela vandi

false info

reply to racer72: I know that you can get free 911 service in Louisiana because I tried it in a vacant house, just as my post described. I tried to make outgoing calls, with no success. I called 911 and was connected. I took about one second of 911 time to confirm service. Maybe it would take someone with less intellect "several minutes" to confirm 911 service; but it only took me about one second. I did not break into the vacant house either. It is owned by someone who opened the house for me. Those who do not know an owner of a vacant house can access one without breaking any laws. If they are looking for a rental, they can ask the owner's permission to test the phone lines when they view the rental property.

Edit: DISCUSSION WITH 911 DIRECTOR: To verify my info, I called the 911 office in town and spoke with the director. He was very evasive, even flatly denied that the FREE 911 ONLY service existed, until I jumped up and down on him (figuratively speaking) and this squeezed out: People who have phone service that is disconnected are AUTOMATICALLY granted FREE 911 ONLY service. I have no idea how widespread this program is. I recall there was talk about such a program following tragedies in which people lost their phone service and were unable to call 911 as a result; so this service is probably a public relations measure by the phone company. It is significant because it demonstrates that such a program is currently in operation, and could be expanded. So it appears that you cannot ORDER "free 911 only" service, but you might get it if you have phone service that is cancelled. As I said, this program may not be available in your area.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">