• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dividends on an inheritance - marital income or personal income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

numberfour

I am in New York. My question regards dividend income generated from an inheritance, and items purchased with the dividends. Are dividends on an investment account where inherited funds are held considered marital income? Are items purchased with such dividend income considered marital property? What about the fact that the individual who received the inheritance did not pay the taxes on said dividends - but the funds to pay the taxes came from the other party? At one time the investment account where the principle of the inheritance was deposited was in both spouses' names, but then the individual who inherited the funds forced the other to sign a release on the account using duress - threatening divorce if the individual refused to sign the release - and then filed for divorce anyway.

Please help me understand the law regarding dividend income in the above situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">