• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jointly owned home, he wants off of the loan and wants money too!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kdsams

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I was divorced in early 2000. According to our divorce papers, I get to live in the house with our children. The decree also states that, upon the youngest marital child's graduation, I am to sell the house at an amount agreed upon by myslef & my ex. However, he is wanting his name off of the loan now.He has asked me to refinance without his name. I am fine with this. I begin the dreaded steps of refiancing only to get an email from him that he wants me to pay him 50% of the equity that is on the house. (We owe $92,000, if the appraisal comes in at $102,000 then he wants me to give him $5,000). Now, I am not selling the house, nor am I making any money off it. I am simply refinancing the $92,000 left on our original loan. So, technically, there is no equity. My question... Can he make me pay him the 50% of the difference between the pay off & the appraised value? Or do the papers indicate that he is not to get any equity until the house is actually sold?

Thanks!
Kelly

kat1963

Nothing can change a court order but a court order. If you decide to do this you will need to consult with a lawyer to modify the original agreement. I'd do it, refinance, take enough out to buy him out (consider attorney fees & the cost to refinance too!). Interest rates are really low right now, you wouldn't have to worry about moving/selling in the future either. Equity will be all yours and this releases him so that he can purchase a home too.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">