• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with selling because you have a scale.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OlRoy

What is the name of your state? NC

If you grow a few marijuana plants and you also have a scale in your house you will probably be charged with cultivation and selling. If someones in your house and you punch them in the face you would be charged with assault, not assault with a deadly weapon because you have a kitchen knife in a drawer. How can they charge you with a crime just because you have the ability to do it?

stephenk

Maybe because the scale had pot residue on it and it was next to the baggies and the weed drying on the rack.

do you have a legitimate reason for the scale being in the same area as the weed?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Roy, have you contacted Guinness? I think you've got the World's record for most Penal statutes violated in a single year. There's $25,000.00 waiting for you!

IAAL

O

OlRoy

I'm just trying to understand the law better ;) You can be charged with selling by simply having a scale when growing marijuana... Just like you can be charged with possession with intent to sale by simply having marijuana. I'm wondering how the government can get away with being the thought police. Its pretty scarey when you can be convicted of a crime that someone THINKS you INTENDED to commit. I can't see how they can charge you with a crime simply based on having the ability to do it and their psychic powers. I can understand being charged with intent or conspiracy if they have evidence like a recording of you saying what you intend to do, or written plans... I guess they can charge you but the chances of you being convicted are zero because your innocent until PROVEN guilty? Why don't they start giving people a ticket for intent to speed if they buy a sports car?

Guinness won't return my phone calls... something about me meeting bubba and dying in a fire...

M

Mike101

Hey OlRoy,

The police get credit for arrests. Once an arrest is made the case is cleared. At the end of the month you add everything up. There is a box for the different crimes. Anything involving drugs is always a good arrest. Drugs and a scale make it seem like a better arrest. A drug user turns into a drug dealer. When it all goes to court and comes down to a conviction for simple possession that does not go on that monthly report. That arrest stays as an arrest and cops are happy. I have seen officers charge poss with intent to manufacture for a subject having one to many seeds. If they have seeds they must plan on growing the plants. It does not matter that the seeds have collected at the bottom of the bag. That simple possession is now a felony. Makes the officer look good.

O

OlRoy

Ahh ok well its good to know that those charges would be dropped and mind reading isn't evidence :) Do police departments discourage LEO's from coming up with charges like that? Are intent charges like that common?

M

Mike101

I don't think that it is really discouraged or encouraged. It just is. Officers usually get tired of charging like that. Its big with rookies but they usually grow out of it. You can't really get away with beating a suspect so you do the next best thing. Charge the heck out of him. Its a legal revenge. Not saying that it is right or wrong...it just is.

O

OlRoy

haha well i would definately rather take the extra charge than the beating thats for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">