• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Decree Mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CMJT

What is the name of your state? Texas
I have been divorced for 10 years now. Just recently found out there is a mistake in my divorce papers(decree):
"...respondent <name><SSN>waived issuance and service of citation by waiver duly filed and did not otherwise appear..."
The mistake I found was in my SSN. The SSN on the decree did not match mine. My question is: due to this technical mistake, is my divorce actual legal and if it is, can I still appeal in order to be able to split assests and so on?
The reason I was not present was quite complicated. To make this short I'll say this....she did me wrong and I was away at the time of the hearing(did not have money for attorney to represent me in court) plus due to other family emergencies I just wanted for all of this to pass and be done with. Now that I discovered this, I'll be honest to say I'd like to be able to do something to make her repay for the wrong she's done. At the time she's outsmarted me. Is there anything that can be done at this point?
Thank you

CMJT

thank you for your honesty but I hope there's someone who could actually explain to me why this is impossible.

Last edited:
10 yrs is a lot too late to appeal. doesn't matter if the s.s. # is wrong.

you signed a waiver of citation and didn't appear which gave her the right to anything she could get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">