• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughter hit uninsured moterist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sea59

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Yesterday afternoon my daughter was involved in an accident where she stopped at a stop sign, then proceeded to cross intersection causing an oncoming car to hit her. She was ticketed since the oncoming car did legally have the right-of-way. The person driving the other car did not have insurance. Since they are uninsured, is my insurance company required to pay for the damage caused to their car? What about if their car also is titled in a parents name as well as theirs? Can we try to get something out of the parent? The people she hit was a young married couple. Thank you!

stephenk

if your daughter was at fault for the accident, what do you expect to collect from the parent of the other driver and why?

Your insurance will pay for the damage to the other car. Hopefully, they werent injured. If they are injured they will make a claim for personal injuries against your insurance.

P

ProResearch

Kansas is a no-fault state. Therefore, the other driver should have had minimum state coverage. What does the police report say as to their not carrying minimum state law insurance -- any ticket?

See, for example, http://www.dicksonandpope.com/nofault.htm

and how to protect your interests in a no-fault state:

http://www.sjblaw.com/faq/auto.html

Disclaimer: These are informational web sites only. I do not necessarily endorse them except for information extracted from them. You should see an attorney in Kansas for more (and possibly) accurate information.

Good 'luck' to you!

S

sea59

The other driver was ticketed for not having insurance. I was told, by a friend not a member of the legal profession, that our insurance didn't have to pay because the person she hit didn't have insurance. I totally understand that my daughter was the one at fault for the accident, but we are insured and they were not. I'm not trying to be totally unforgiving of the young couple's mistake of not having insurance, they only let it lapse a month or so ago because the young lady had lost her job and had only recently found a new one and they had fallen behind. I understand how things like that can happen, but my insurance on my daughter is going to increase now and I wondered if perhaps since the mother of one of the other cars owners was on the title as well if maybe her insurance would cover it. I spoke to the young lady involved over the phone and she said her mother had insurance, but only on the vehicles she owns at her residence. Apparently she was on the title of this car only because she co-signed for the loan. Thank you for responding, I really appreciate your honest and forthright answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">