• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recent accident I was in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

ptmoore82

I live in Michigan where there is no-fault. Last friday I was hit by a drunk driver who went full speed through a stop sign and my car was totaled. I had no collision insurance so from what I can see I will only recieve the 400 dollar deductable. Do I have any chance of getting money if I sue them in civil court? The driver of the other car admitted to driving through the stop sign without slowing down and was arrested for an OUIL. I have no way to get to my classes, work or too and from school which is a 2.5 hour drive. Also the cost of disposing of my totaled vehicle will be near 300 dollars. I spoke to the father (a well known local doctor) of the person who hit me and he told me the law was on his side and theres nothing I can do basically. The driver was a highschool senior who I played basketball with two years ago when I was a senior in highschool.. The driver was also high on marijuana and I know people who smoked with him at the teenage drinking party he was coming from. Would I have any chance of money being rewarded to me in civil court? Thank you.

HomeGuru

ptmoore82 said:
I live in Michigan where there is no-fault. Last friday I was hit by a drunk driver who went full speed through a stop sign and my car was totaled. I had no collision insurance so from what I can see I will only recieve the 400 dollar deductable. Do I have any chance of getting money if I sue them in civil court? The driver of the other car admitted to driving through the stop sign without slowing down and was arrested for an OUIL. I have no way to get to my classes, work or too and from school which is a 2.5 hour drive. Also the cost of disposing of my totaled vehicle will be near 300 dollars. I spoke to the father (a well known local doctor) of the person who hit me and he told me the law was on his side and theres nothing I can do basically. The driver was a highschool senior who I played basketball with two years ago when I was a senior in highschool.. The driver was also high on marijuana and I know people who smoked with him at the teenage drinking party he was coming from. Would I have any chance of money being rewarded to me in civil court? Thank you.
**A: yes.

P

ptmoore82

Well should if I do sue what should I ask for the cost of the car and expenses to dispose of it or something more for emotional distress and inconvenience? My car was a 1988 Cadillac worth about 1500-1700 dollars. And should I contact a lawyer right away or can I wait until this Monday when my finals are over. I am 2.5 hours away from Detroit at school. I'm having my mother take pictures of the damage to the car. Exactly how much should I ask for or should I just ask my lawyer that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">