• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newspaper divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JZing

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I recently applied for a public notice (can not track down spouse) I have been trying to get divorced for 3 years. Ended up getting attorney and so the add has run its time--spouse has not responded-- attorney recieved certificate of add. I am confused what the attorney is supposed to do next. I feel like I am getting screwed, as I have already dished out $450 and my attorney doesn't keep me informed. What can I do? I am frustrated-- I just want to know what the next step is since the court now has the certificate. Please help. PS--we were married in Rochester NY

HomeGuru

JZing said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia
I recently applied for a public notice (can not track down spouse) I have been trying to get divorced for 3 years. Ended up getting attorney and so the add has run its time--spouse has not responded-- attorney recieved certificate of add. I am confused what the attorney is supposed to do next. I feel like I am getting screwed, as I have already dished out $450 and my attorney doesn't keep me informed. What can I do? I am frustrated-- I just want to know what the next step is since the court now has the certificate. Please help. PS--we were married in Rochester NY

**A: your attorney was supposed to file divorce papers and get the court to agree to the service by publication.

J

JZing

Divorce by newspaper reply to reply

They did get the papers filed and approved but the attorney sent in the certificate to the court-- (the add) and they told me they are supposed to petition a comissioner but I am confused why the certificate was not automatically sent to the court and they notify the attorney--

HomeGuru

Re: Divorce by newspaper reply to reply

JZing said:
They did get the papers filed and approved but the attorney sent in the certificate to the court-- (the add) and they told me they are supposed to petition a comissioner but I am confused why the certificate was not automatically sent to the court and they notify the attorney--

**A: I am also confused so talk with your attorney.

J

JZing

divorce in newspaper

the problem is--she is not telling me a thing. The add has already been run(through approval of court via affidavit)-- the final paper staing this, was returned to attorney-- they in turn sent it to the court who has it on file (my file). My question is--- what is the next step? As I called my attorney today and she says she must call the court--I am wondering WHY she is doing so--is this the next step and if so what is the purpose?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">