• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption/fathers rights help, opinions please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

queenrumrunner

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I really need some advice, help and opinions tonite.
I will try to make this story short.
A friend of mine who is only 18 and has an appointment with social services tommorow and he has to decide if he should sign off on his parental rights to his unborn child.
He was dating the mother who is 19, and when he was 17 he got her pregnant, she left him and said that she is giving the baby up for adoption.
She is now 7 months along, and has served him with papers for him to give up parental rights. He doesnt want to sign off and wants to raise the baby himself, but he dropped out of High School, doesnt have a job and lives at home with dad. He also struggles with feelings about his mom because she had a stroke 7 yrs ago and he has to visit her in a nursing home.
I know he loves the baby, and I think he has come to me because I had my daughter when I was 18, but I didnt give her up.
I dont know the proper advice to really give, I dont have all the right answers, but everyone else wants him to sign off and he has come to me for advice and to go with him tommorow to this appointment.
I know how hard it will be either way, hard to rasise the baby alone and hard to sign off.
The social worker did tell him that he cant have the baby no matter what because he was a minor when the baby was conceived, and that by him signing off it will only be that much easier for them to start the adoption. I really dont beleive that what the social worker said is true. Are there any fathers rights? Or does a man have to be rich and have a good lawyer?
Any suggestions? Does anyone know the laws about fathers rights in case if he does want custody?
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Seanscott

Since he was a minor when the baby was conceived, I would ask the social worker if that means he would not have to pay support if the mom kept the child. I think the social worker is lying.

The young man has to look deep inside his heart for the answer.

Years from now, will he regret signing away his rights? Will the child have a better life being raised by someone else?

Very hard questions with no easy answers. I feel so sorry for this young man.

Good luck.

CMSC

This is very sad. I would raise hell with that social worker.

I am not saying your friend is the best father in the world, having no job and all BUT would his family be helping him out? Has he spoken to this girl about not giving the baby up?

Your friend could ask for a DNA test. I know hat it would be hard, because that is like saying he isn't the father but when the baby is born, it would be the first step in securing his rights.

What kind of father do YOU think your friend would make?

Q

queenrumrunner

Thank you both for the reply.
Well today he went in and decided he is going to sign off his rights to the baby so the adoption can take place when the baby is born.
It is tough all the way around, his dad especially isnt supporting him and most of his friends arent either. But he came to me and started balling his eyes out saying that he loves the baby more than anything and would die for the child and to please help him. I told him neither way to keep or give up the baby, I just tried to help him search within himself what would be best for the baby ane he decided to give up his rights.
After talking to the social worker today, he feels more confident about the adoptive parents, they seem to be very stable and wealthy and more than willing to give the baby a good home. After hearing all that I think it gave him more encouragement.
He would be a wonderful father, but the timing isnt his in hands for this time around.

Thanks for listening.

LegalBeagle

How old he was when the child was conceived is irrelevant. There is no way that baby can be adopted without his consent. Especially in MI. A few years back an adoption of 4 years was overturned because the father was never notified.

Do not have him sign over parental rights to the mother. He should agree and proceed with the adoption. There is a difference, especially if the mother does not proceed with the adoption. Also, report that social worker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">