• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leede42

What is the name of your state? Nevada

As of October this year, I am no longer required to pay spousal support. She is now claiming that I am behind, and that I owe her more money. Sometimes she says it's 2 months, sometimes 3-4 months. It always varies. I've already sent her a certified letter requesting that she provide me with the months I am behind so I can check into it. I do not believe it is true. All she says is that it is not her responsibility to figure that out, that it is mine, and that I'll need to go back through 5 years of records to do so. With whom does the burden of proof lay? Thanks.

C

cyana

I believe it is her responsibility...

... as the recipient to maintain accurate records. That would mean the burden of proof is on her. At least that was my lawyer told me me when my ex and I divorced. I am the recipient.

I hope she responds to your certified letter, but I'm pretty sure the burden of proof is on her. Actually I do hope you're keeping acurate records yourself for IRS purposes.

J

Janine Brink

I understand that it is both of your responsibility to keep very accurate records for the IRS and if you are, you should be able to respond to her demands accurately. She must also keep records including copies of your checks to her and deposit slips. If she is, she can provide proof for herself to you. Whenever money is involved and hurt feelings, it is so important to keep it professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">