• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Take away my home????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

contactmorris

My home state is Florida

Question: Let say I have sold drugs for about 2 years. I have a felony charge of drug possesion (cocaine) with intent to distribute. I have in my name three houses and one car. If I get caught how does the law work on taking away my properties?

In other words when does the law have the right to take away my possesions?

Thank you for your contributions.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

contactmorris said:
My home state is Florida

Question: Let say I have sold drugs for about 2 years. I have a felony charge of drug possesion (cocaine) with intent to distribute. I have in my name three houses and one car. If I get caught how does the law work on taking away my properties?

In other words when does the law have the right to take away my possesions?

**A: if it can be proven that those assets were bought with drug monies, those properties can be confiscated.

JETX

Actually, the source of the funds used to purchase the properties, etc. doesn't have to be PROVEN to be from drug money.

The forfeiture laws are written that the government can seize the properties..... and the responsibility is on you to prove that funds from drugs was NOT used to acquire them.

Florida Revised Code:
"932.702 Unlawful to transport, conceal, or possess contraband articles or to acquire real or personal property with contraband proceeds; use of vessel, motor vehicle, aircraft, other personal property, or real property.--It is unlawful:
(1) To transport, carry, or convey any contraband article in, upon, or by means of any vessel, motor vehicle, or aircraft.
(2) To conceal or possess any contraband article.
(3) To use any vessel, motor vehicle, aircraft, other personal property, or real property to facilitate the transportation, carriage, conveyance, concealment, receipt, possession, purchase, sale, barter, exchange, or giving away of any contraband article.
(4) To conceal, or possess, or use any contraband article as an instrumentality in the commission of or in aiding or abetting in the commission of any felony or violation of the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act.
(5) To acquire real or personal property by the use of proceeds obtained in violation of the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act."

Also:
"932.703 Forfeiture of contraband article; exceptions.--
(1)(a) Any contraband article, vessel, motor vehicle, aircraft, other personal property, or real property used in violation of any provision of the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act, or in, upon, or by means of which any violation of the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act has taken or is taking place, may be seized and shall be forfeited subject to the provisions of the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. "

HomeGuru

Your name and SS# will be given to the IRS which will conduct a review of your tax returns for the last 5 years. Your reported income will be noted and compared with the date of purchase and value of each property. If your income was $35,000 in a given year, how could you afford to buy a $250,000 home? Where did the money come from? The IRS and other Federal agencies have the power to obtain your employment and banking records, credit card records, land and wireless telephone records etc. and if you did not file your tax returns or under-reported your income, you will not need to worry about having a home. You will have nice new home with nice new friends.

C

contactmorris

Another question.

What about if the title of the properties is under other peoples name as well? Suppose my mother. What would happen to the property then?
Is there any limitation as to what they can take away?

JETX

They can take away any and all assets that were gained with benefits of your illegal actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">