• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mediation/Auto accident - is there something wrong with...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

islandgirl

....... our lawyer talking to the Mediator without us present? What happened was my husband was in a car accident and we were at the Mediator's office to settle the case. We did settle, but was very disappointed with the settlement amount (that's another story though). Anyway, we thought it was a little strange that after the other party (defendants/lawyers) went to the other room and about 1 hour into the mediation... coming back from talking with the other party, the mediator asked to speak with our lawyer, they left the room and was gone for about 10 minutes. When our lawyer came back, we assumed that he was going to share with us what it was about, esp. if it was about the case, but he didn't say anything about it. And we didn't ask. It was probably nothing, or we're just being a little paranoid. But I would like to know if that was normal procedure? I really don't know what to make of it. And would really like to know what others think. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

A

aahlee

ummm why did you sign then?

you had a choice now live with it.

And dont be such a wussie next time.

----------------
So how much did you get, was hubby at fault, what makes you think you deserved more?

I

islandgirl

1) ummm why did you sign then?
... We didn't want to go to court, the accident was almost 4 years ago, we wanted the whole thing to be over with!

2) you had a choice now live with it.

3) And dont be such a wussie next time.
... Yeah, I'll keep that in mind!

4) So how much did you get, was hubby at fault, what makes you think you deserved more?
... We got under $10,000. Hubby was not at fault.

5) what makes you think you deserved more?
... Have you ever been in an accident? His medical bills were around $13,000. Lost wages around $10,000. We used our credit cards for almost everything, and we now owe around $30,000. Etc... But still, we were told that we didn't have a solid case... the at fault driver lied... and the insurance company will do just about anything just so they can keep their darn money!

But anyway, I really just wanted to know if what the mediator and our lawyer did was normal procedure. I know we settled the case so it's over, we're living with our decision. Just wanted to know if our lawyer did something wrong? Are you familiar with Madiation procedure aahlee? Anyone? I'd appreciate any input on this. Thanks!

stephenk

typically a mediator will meet alone with one or both attorneys to get their positions on the case. Then the mediator may meet alone with each of the attorneys to discuss problems each side may have with the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">