• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal situation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

many thanks

California

I got in an accident tonight on the freeway, and I need to figure out exactly what steps I should take.

I rear ended someone on the freeway. they pulled in front of me, and about 15 seconds later as we entered a construction zone he braked suddenly, drastically reducing his speed. the entire time he was in front of me I never saw any other traffic ahead, there were several cars behind us(3-5?). when I hit him I would not have been suprised if he was completely stopped, at maximum he was going 30mph. we were both in the right lane, 3 lane freeway, the far left lane was being closed, at the point of impact less than half of the left lane had been coned off. I braked and when I saw I could not make it I tried to swerve to the left, I didnt make it and my right front hit his left rear. previous to his sudden braking I had been following 4-6 car lengths behind him, although in the police report when asked I said 1-3 car lengths, as I was still a little shaky and was thinking about our distance just prior to the accident. I believe I was going somewhere between 30-45 mph at the time of impact, but that is just what I remember from my peripheral vision, as I wasnt looking at my speedometer when we crashed.

...my main problem is that I do not have a license. I have a learners permit and have been having troubles with the dmv, I have to keep making appointments 3-4 weeks in advance, and have been doing so since the end of september, I became impatient with it and began driving, I know it's not an excuse but it's what I was doing.

I do have insurance, but I do not know if I will be covered as I did not have my license. the police came and I gave them the id I do have which expired, and is class B. they didn't mention anything so I didnt either. also he did not make a statement. the city police came and asked if he should call the chp to take a report and he said he defenitely wanted to. when the chp came he gave them his name & info and left, saying he had to get to the hospital(to see someone else, he may have beenpreoccupied with this when he was driving)

his car has body damage, my car's radiator and surrounding machinery is bent, headlight nonexistent, and of course it will not start.

So, what should I do, I plan to call a lawyer tomorrow, but I can use all the advice I can get.

I believe it was his fault by slamming on his brakes on the freeway (I seriously would not be suprised if he was at a standstill when I hit him) but obviously I was in the wrong for driving without a liscence, although it was not even brought up with the police or chp.

where do I stand with my insureance company?

am I likely to be paying for everything out of my own pocket?

how is the situation affected by his speed and behaviour on the freeway, the fact that I hit him from behind(not directly, my right corner to his left corner), and the fact I do not have a license?

is there anything else I should say to the lawyer when we talk?

am I likely to face criminal charges for driving without a license later on for this incident?

and thank you in advance, anyone kind enough to help out.

A

aahlee

am I likely to be paying for everything out of my own pocket?

Probably YES.......unless your permit and insurance was not expired.

If your permit is expired, chances are you wont be getting a real license for a long time, so you might as well move back home with your parents and learn how to use public transportation aka BUSSES, or learn to ride a bike and get 2 jobs that are very close to home.

M

many thanks

neither permit or insurance is expired,

situation?

plus i still live with one parent, also have two jobs...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">