• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim of Hit and Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dineen

Hi, I need some advice. I was the victim of a hit and run about 3 weeks ago (in New Jersey).

I was walking home from the grocery store and a guy ran a red light and hit me. He then left me for dead, lying in the middle of the rainy intersection. I saw him leave and fortunately there were other people around to help me but "no one saw anything" (gee thanks). I broke my pelvis in 3 places and broke my shoulder.

I was at a job interview earlier that day to be a temp to get some income and benefits, as I was laid off and trying for a year to get a job (oh they called that night and i got the temp job, but not anymore). I WAS on unemployment, but that ended about 1 month before the accident.

They haven't found the guy yet and I doubt they ever will! In the meantime, I can't work, I can't walk, I have no health insurance (and can't afford it on my own!!) since I have no job and I had my car reposessed after I was laid off, so I have no car insurance!

Anyway, I have about $60,000 (so far) in hospital bills and I can't work at all for a LONG time! I'm trying to get disablity, but they are saying I probably won't get it! I can't pay these bills and can BARELY make my rent each month. What do I do?? Where can I go? I have applied for everything under the sun with no luck so far!!! Please any advice would help....i'm at the end of my rope and don't know what to do...

Alex02

Do you have any assets? Can always file for bankruptcy especially if you cant pay off those bills... That means according to how many accets you have you could apply for bankruptcy and wipe your debts clean.

D

Dineen

No, I don't have any assets, except the furniture in the apartment I rent. I was thinking of bankruptcy, but that won't help me pay the rent each month, along with my utilities and food, since I can't work now. That will help me wipe out these medical bills, so I guess I should think more seriously about it.

Thanks,
Dineen

H

hmmbrdzz

Wow. That's a real bad streak of bad luck. Filing for bankruptcy is no way to deal with this current problem. If you have assets under $2000.00 you should be able to qualify for public assistance in the form of at least food stamps. I know that's a horrible sounding thing, but people in your shoes who have had their car repossed have to rely on something, and in this case -- you are bonafide to receive public assistance. Do you have a child? Also, you need to apply for disability benefits regardless of what they tell you (whoever they is). You may indeed be back to work within two years of this, but you may not be, and if you don't file now and something happens regards your injuries, you will have to wait twice as long for any benefits to come your way. Apply for SSI, too. Apply for everything and keep following up. As soon as you spend more money maintaining yourself (this can include food, utilities, drs. bills, equipment for your health) , call SS and report "the change" (reduction in assets). Request emergency funding for your utilities to be kept on. This is also done through Dept. of SS. Stay on the phone with these people. Sometimes they will "brush people off", as their case loads are swamped. Be dedicated to getting yourself assistance. You need it, and you deserve it, and if they've repossed your car and you have only "furnishings", you're almost there. And if you've got $60,000.00 pending in medical expenses, someone at SS should be listening to you.

I hope you won't be down and out for too long. Recovering from all those injuries won't be fun, as I know you've learned!

good luck.

hmmbrdzz

A

aahlee

Can I ask, why havent you contacted your family?

Someone must have a room for you to stay in?

D

Dineen

Family

My family has been helping, but they don't have the money to continue to do so. I live with my fiance and his two kids. He's working two jobs right now to make up for this lost income. He's about ready to take a 3rd job. I can't move because we have a year lease in this apartment PLUS where would we move that could take 4 people in? He has no family and mine can't take us ALL in. I guess the only thing I can do is cross my fingers and hope we don't wind up all in a shelter or on the street.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">