• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help, letter to collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bg12345678

What is the name of your state? NJ

I rented a car from Avis in NJ and drove it to Montreal, Canada. I found some "minor" damage to the front quarter panel the next morning. (car was hit overnight while it was parked on a street). I drove home without reporting it in Canada (did not know what to do in another country and the damage was minimal. I reported it to Avis and they told me I'd be contacted. I got a call from a 3rd party collections (total fleet solutions). They asked for my insurance policy number which I did not give them. I asked them to fax me the estimate. They did it was $1100 estimated damages, $100 administrative costs, and $270 loss of use($1500 total for the little amount of damage this is completely unreasonable). They sent me forms saying I have 30 days to pay or judgement will be rendered. Please see excerpt from the response letter that I am planning to send them, do I have any other argument or options? Should I tell them to take me to court or should I just try to negotiate directly with the collections place which I doubt would get me very far?

Here's what I'm planning to write to them:

I am disputing the claim for damages that your company is trying to collect for Avis Group. When I reported the vehicle damage to Avis, I tried to get as much information that I could but I was only told that I would be contacted within the next few days. I waited about a week, but was not contacted. I then called Avis several times over the next couple of weeks to find out what the status was and to reiterate that I needed to get information and the estimate to my credit card company as soon as possible. After several extensive runarounds, I was told that there was no record of any damage under my name. The following led me to believe there would not be a claim: the fact that vehicle had cosmetic damage in the same area prior to the damage incurred, the fact that I was told that there were no damages reported, and when I did not get any response for seven months. I am not willing to pay these charges, which I deem as unreasonable in amount and scope. I am no longer able to make the claim to my credit card company due to the time that has elapsed, and I neither have the resources nor the willingness to pay this claim out of pocket. Please close the claim and cease further attempts to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">