• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pedestrian incident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cass71898

What is the name of your state? California

My husband collied with a pedestrian at about 5mph near a crosswalk. The Ped ran out from behind an electrical box to get across the street fast (which he told my husband.) The car didn't even hit his person, he put his hand out and the hood hit his hand and he fell on his bottom. The police weren't called, there is no police report. He contacted us 2 days after the accident to let us know that he was all right and just needed to reimbursed for a taxi ride. It's been over a year and we just got a summons, he's suing us and my husband's company because he was leaving work when it happened (although he was on a public street.) Anyway, it seems like he's just trying to get money out of us, and we really don't have anything. Does anyone know how these suits usually resolve? Any advice? Our insurance company is supposed to be taking care of everything including legal representation. I'm really upset about the whole thing.

Alex02

I wonder if there was any other witnesses? Wonder what the outcome would lean towards if it was his word against yours? Im wondering if this guy even has a case.

1) it took him a year to file a suit- strange if he was hurt id think hed do something about it ASAP

2) For reinbursement all he wanted was to pay for his taxi ride? Did you pay for it? So this was a verbal agreement and nothing was signed?

C

cass71898

1) it took him a year to file a suit- strange if he was hurt id think hed do something about it ASAP

You'd think.

2) For reinbursement all he wanted was to pay for his taxi ride? Did you pay for it? So this was a verbal agreement and nothing was signed?
We never paid, he said he would call us back and we never heard from him again.

Also, one other thing, in the summons they cited my car (1999 camry) as the car that was involved instead of my husbands car (1987 camry.) My car has more coverage, I'm wondering how they even knew about my car. Since it's all *he said - he said* I guess they can say anything they want to?

As for witnesses, there were a couple, but it was such a non incident, no one exchanged any info. My husband gave the man his phone number so they could work anything out and make sure he was ok. No one called the police, because the man just sort of fell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">