• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation / Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GlBleu

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
You know I wrote about three pages trying to explain my situation
Erased it all and started again.
I am leaving this relationship because I believe it is what I need to do to survive.
When you answer someone with "I don't want to be married anymore" You get all kinds of looks. But think about what that says:
I want to be responsible for myself, for my debts, for my decisions, take care of myself, and clean up after myself.
I don't believe you have to sling mud and make the other person look or feel bad. I believe it should be worked out.
What is the LA. law for spousal support?
Where is it written that regardless of what each person puts into a relationship, when it ends it is split up 50/50?
Should I file when I leave or wait the 6-months then File.
We have agreeded on a date that I will be leaving.
If I leave will I have to pay the House note?
Will I be responsible for her Debts?

C

cyana

LA is a "Community Property" State ...

and subject to the laws governing CP states regarding division of assets and debts, i.e., 50/50 split of assets and liabilities. So yes, you would be responsible for 50% of her debt, credit card or otherwise, and she would be responsible for 50% of your debt. Sorry, but that's all I know about community property divisions. Perhaps one our lawyers who live in CP states can answer you better.

Spousal Support, if granted, can be up to 1/3 of the obliger's net income "to the party without fault".

Sources:
http://divorcenet.com/la/la-divorce.html

http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/louisiana.shtml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">