• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandma Got Run Over by Uncle Reindeer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Love My Mom

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Does a "guest statute" preclude legal action?

My 81-year-old mother was a passenger in a vehicle crashed by her brother-in-law in Chicago on 6/23/01. He blacked out, and was revived by a pacemaker after crashing into a tree.

The accident ended her vibrant, active lifestyle. Her shattered right hip was rebuilt with enough steel for a child's erector set, and she has never regained the use of her right (writing) arm. A former bridge player who used to play cards ten times a week, her mind is still intact, and she now plays on the infrequent occasion she musters the stamina to sit at a table.

The driver, my uncle, twice gave me a promise of "whatever it takes" at his kitchen table in Skokie right after the crash. He apparently has not conveyed that feeling to his insurance company, which has not paid any bills.

Do we have a lawsuit? I am becoming increasingly concerned because there is apparently a two-year limit on one's right to file.

Thank you for your time and attention. Best wishes for a wonderful holiday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">