• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

She stole the website code...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dineen

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello!

I have a question that maybe someone can help with. An (ex)friend and I started a website together and I developed the ENTIRE website from design to code. She handled most of the textual content. Since the site was finished, she went ahead behind my back and incorporated the company in her name, trademarked the 'slogan' in her name and took all the money out of the business account that she put in HER name. I had no idea all of this was going on. I have since realized that there is definately something mentally wrong with her - hearing voices, screwing people over royally, saying that God talks to her, etc. (yikes).

Since then I told her to take a hike. She's been sending me emails telling me that she wants to pay me for the work I did. There was NO contract, we went into this together and I was under the impression that we were going to run this business TOGETHER (until i found out what she did).

I have since started a new website with the same concept, using the quasi-same ecommerce code that I developed, but different design, for my new website. I've begun to trademark the NAME of the business, which closeley resembles her's - which she did NOT trademark. I hear through the grapevine that she wants to sue, but don't I own the code? Also, isn't an "idea" not copywritable? (sp) She would have to get a patent, correct? (I checked and she has not).

Also, if I accept payment from her, does that mean I give up my rights to all of the code (ecommerce) and/or that I developed for the site? ANY ADVICE would be apreciated!! I want to make sure I'm covered any way I can because i DO NOT trust her!

THANKS!!!
Dineen

Alex02

DONT ACCEPT NOTHING FROM HER!! If this is anything like car accidents, when the victims take money from the at-fault they give up their rights to sue or ask for anything else.

I would post this on the INTERNET & INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW board, maybe some more people have experience with this sort of thing

D

Dineen

Thank you,

Thanks for the info! I will also check out the Intellectual Property Board!

Dineen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">