• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage name change-unusual/divorce/remarriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimt38alpha

My fiance and I live in Florida. He has an ex-wife and daughter who live in Arkansas. His ex-wife has kept his last name even though she has been legally married and divorced twice since him. I do not want to share his name with her when I marry him. His daughter of course has his name and we want that to remain. He has never missed a cs payment and his daughter recieves free medical through the Air Force. Does she (ex)have the right to carry his name? Do I have the right to pursue the issue? They have been divorced over 5 years.

LegalBeagle

kimt38alpha said:
My fiance and I live in Florida. He has an ex-wife and daughter who live in Arkansas. His ex-wife has kept his last name even though she has been legally married and divorced twice since him. I do not want to share his name with her when I marry him. His daughter of course has his name and we want that to remain. He has never missed a cs payment and his daughter recieves free medical through the Air Force. Does she (ex)have the right to carry his name? Do I have the right to pursue the issue? They have been divorced over 5 years.
She can call herself whatever she wants and there is nothing you can do about it.. What are you going to do about the other 1000+ people who also share the same name?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As long as she's not doing it to defraud anyone, she can use any name she wants. If this is the greatest of your problems - count your blessings!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">