• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damage estimation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

workhorse

Auto insurance - Property damage estimation

What is the name of your state? - New York

I was involved in a two-car accident which was not my fault which is clearly confirmed by the police report. No one was hurt, however my car has been damaged. The car is drivable.
I've made a claim against the other party insurance company and they agreeing to pay for the repair.
However they refused to send an adjuster to my mechanic's shop and actually commandeered me to the specific auto repair shop (of course it is their designated shop !) for the estimation of the damages.
Do they have the right to do this?
Can they tell me at which auto repair shop I have to be getting the estimate ?

Last edited:

stephenk

nope. tell them where your car is at and that you will give them 3 days to look at the car. if they dont go, tough.

get your car fixed and submit the bill to the carrier. if they balk at paying, sue the other driver in small claims court. once you win collect from the insurance company.

JETX

Whoa.... I wish it was half as easy as stephenk implies.....

1) Your post says that your 'proof of liability' was the police report. Sorry, but the insurance companies will do their own investigation and determine liability.... or percentage of liability.

2) Your post also says that they have 'agreed to the repairs'. Are you sure that they have accepted liability, or did they just send you to get an estimate??

3) You do not have to go to their shop, and I have never heard of an insurance company not providing an adjuster to inspect the damages wherever the vehicle is. However, why not get your own estimate, then take the vehicle to their shop.... then compare the two?? For all you know at this point, their estimate might be higher.

4) After you get your estimates, you can then take whatever action you need.

W

workhorse

I'd like to thank everybody for replying to my question in such a swift and comprehensive manner.
There are very useful suggestions in your answers.
Thanks a lot !
F.Y.I.
Answering Halket's question about them accepting the fault - yes the claim investigator reviewed the police report and told me in the phone conversation that he anticipates that his company will pay at list 80% of the repair cost. He gave me the usual stuff in the effect that it was also partially my fault. However I will argue that, because in that situation I had absolutely no chance of avoiding the accident. I am even slightly surprised that the other guy who caused the accident was not issued any tickets by the police, since he made the sharp right turn from the left lane while being only 1/2 car ahead of me (I, of coursce was in the right lane).
If this is not a moving violation than I don't know what is -:))
Anyway, thank you all very much!

Regards,
Workhorse

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">