• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured motorist, please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaimegirl21

What is the name of your state? ohio

i was in an accident and was sited for failure to yield (i was pulling out of my driveway i realize this is my fault). the owner of the vehicle got out and said to not call the cops because he did not have insurance. i did call the cops (knowing that i would get sited) because my car was pushed into a parked vehicle and my insurance would not cover w/o a report. the officer ticketed me (i admitted it was my fault b/c the other car did have the right away)and let the other driver go. when i spoke with friends(nonproffesionals in the law field) they said that by ohio law the other vehicle is at fault since he was not covered, also the officer should not have let him drive away w/o coverage.

my questions: is the other driver liable, even if it was not his "fault" since he didn't have insurance. if he is liable should i dispute my ticket, since the officer was "wrong" in letting him go.

i havent talked to my insurance except to report the claim, i wont be able to contact them until monday. in the meantime, i have had two messages from an autobody repair shop (in regards to the driver of the car), should i not call them back until i hear from my insurance as to not "incrimidate" myself if im not liable? (btw im not trying to make it so he has to repair my car, it is damaged but is old. i just would like to remove the ticket from my record and not have my insurance go up if the whole accident was handled inappropriately).

J

jaimegirl21

thanks for clearing that up!!!! i will call the autobody shop tomorrow to see what the damage is to submit to my insurance.

now does anyone have any advice about the officer not "catching" that the guy didn't have insurance and letting him drive away. (or am i just beating a dead horse??)

JETX

Just curious.... why would you want to talk to THEIR body shop?? Your insurance company is going to handle any claim and your call can only confuse the issue. I suggest your letting your insurance company handle it.

Last edited:

stunna2681

i live in ohio too, from experience and this is what mostly happens, your insurance company will pay for your damages, to get the car fixed (if you have full cov.)and then go after the guy for reimbursement. I wouldn't be worried about the guy not having insurance, you have uninsured motorist coverage right? If you do, then its the states prob. not yours

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">