• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help on DIVORCING a Canadian Immigrant Please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

desperate &sick

What is the name of your state? Seattle, Washington

Please help! I am getting no reply on immigration. Hope to get some answer here.

I am preparing to get a divorce and my husband is a immigrant from Canada.

My husband is using me and he married me only for the green card to stay in the USA. I only realized it after some many months. He has threaten me during our marriage of 11 1/2 months. Very verbally and physically abuse. He threaten to take away my real estate property and asset if I report him to INS.

I already petition him a year ago for the permanent resident and we have an interview on 11-2002 for the temporary green card. Everything is looking fine for him, then he become very violent. He figure if I don't say anything. He can stay in the USA for another two years and probably already looking for another woman victim.

I know he has no chance of taking my home and personal asset. Because of our marriage was very short, and I owned these property before the marriage. But he owned $15,000 on my second mortgage loan and I am afraid he might not pay for it. Also, he didn't pay a dime on the mortage or ultility bills during our marriage.

Please I need some help. What can I do .. Do I report him to INS? Will he be available to take away everything I own?

Please help me. Thanks for your help in the advance.
Seattle, Washington:(

stephenk

go to an attorney that specializes in family law and also has experience in immigrant issues. Go ASAP.

if he physically or verbally abuses you, report him to the police. dont bail him out. then let him figure out how to get his canadian ass out of jail.

LegalBeagle

This is not an immigration issue.

1. Document everything
2. Your house right? Change the locks and throw out his stuff on the first yard.
3. Call the police the moment he bangs on the door.
4. Get a TRO
5. Write to the INS and explain everything
6. Retain a family law attorney and file for divorce.
7. Take his name off everything.

You are going to have to sort out that 2nd on your own for the time being.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">