• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

39sable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

happi189

What is the name of your state? :California

My 20 year old daughter drives a car that is registered in my name. It's been registered to me since we purchased the car when she was 16. She has acquired several parking violations and has failed to pay them. As a result, these unpaid tickets were submitted to the DMV and now she cannot register the vehicle. The car is now more than two renewal periods past current registration. Someone told me that because of the length of delinquency of both the parking violations and registration a warrant could be issued in my name as I am the registered owner of the car. Is this correct?

HomeGuru

happi189 said:
What is the name of your state? :California

My 20 year old daughter drives a car that is registered in my name. It's been registered to me since we purchased the car when she was 16. She has acquired several parking violations and has failed to pay them. As a result, these unpaid tickets were submitted to the DMV and now she cannot register the vehicle. The car is now more than two renewal periods past current registration. Someone told me that because of the length of delinquency of both the parking violations and registration a warrant could be issued in my name as I am the registered owner of the car. Is this correct?

**A: call DMV and ask them what the fines are for no insurance.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Not only can a warrant be issued for your failure to either appear on the tickets, or pay the tickets, but because of the registration tag problem, your car is subject to immediate IMPOUND.

All it takes is one eagle-eyed cop or Highway Patrol Officer to see that expired tag, and your car will be hauled off. Not a pretty sight - - and, it's expensive too.

IAAL

H

happi189

you weren't reading correctly

I never said anything about not having insurance. The car is fully covered, more than what is required by California Law. Where did you guys get the insurance issue?

I am aware that the car could be impounded. In fact, i am hoping that happens. I have told my daughter to pay her tickets and register the car. She, for what ever reason, doesn't think it's important enough.

I wuld release the liability on the car, however she acquired the tickets and failed to register it while it is in my name. So that's not going to help me.

H

happi189

Response

I feel like taking the car away is a "final" resort. The reason the car was in my name was because we helped her by it when she was 16. She's twently now, she's paid the car off. Also, putting the car in my name allowed for a reduction in her insurance payments. She does not live at home anymore. I am just concerned that a warrant will ultimately be issued in my name since i am the registered owner.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Response

happi189 said:
"I feel like taking the car away is a "final" resort."

===================================

My response:

What?

The car is still in your name! Do you need to be clubbed over the head before you finally realize that a warrant for your arrest is serious? Are you going to wait until you're in handcuffs? When you're stopped by an Officer, there will be no excuses, no second chances, no explanations, no begging, no nothing. That officer MUST give you matching bracelets and book you, and potentially, keep you in jail until you can bail out. Lady, this is serious!

And, do you think that if the car is impounded that will be the end of the story? Not by a long shot!

If the car is impounded, tow fees and impound fees keep racking up at astronomical rates, and before your license can be renewed, all fees will be required to be paid - - in full. Until then, your license will be suspended.

Obviously, you have no idea what your daughter is doing to you.

You ARE at the "final resort". Take the car away from her RIGHT NOW ! You're playing Russian Roulette with your freedom and your financial well-being!

I think you should sit down with your daughter ASAP, over a cup of tea, perhaps, while you both review Vehicle Code Section 22651. It's long - - and none of it is in your favor.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">