• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distributoin of drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lag06

What is the name of your state? CA.
My mother-in-law was arrested in Nov. 02 for distribution of drugs. She had a street value $1500 on her posession. She confessed to selling drugs due to her being divorced, laid off, and living in a high priced community. This is her first offence of any kind, she has no previous history of this sort, and she got involved by her son who has problems of his own.

Since her arrest the detectives wanted her to turn in the person that provided her the drugs or set them up. We had advised her to just say no to any deal so she could move on. However the detectives have not allowed her to turn herself in, they tell her that "we have not booked you so it would do no good to turn yourself in".

We want her to move on with her life, she is 59 years old and needs to get this past her, she is willing to do what it takes with exception to turn in the people that gave her the drugs. What can we do to push this forward, the police are not giving her any information and we do not know what steps to take.

calatty

She needs an attorney. She should not talk to the police or make any deals with them without one. If this is her first offense, her attorney can arrange for a deal not involving any jail time. Do not wait for the police or prosecution to show mercy.

H

hmmbrdzz

If she's 59, divorced, out of work, and living on the finer side of town and has indicated in the least bit that she'll be willing to give some names or work with them, (especially if her son is dealing), this pressure could go on for months and months. They'll have her thinking she's either going to jail or that her son is going to jail but that if she cooperates and gives them some names or helps them set someone up for a bust, she and / or her son will come out OK. She definitely needs an attorney if she can afford one. If she can't, she needs to realize that -- either way -- they've got her now, and they're going to put the squeeze on for a long time. She's kind of between a "rock" and a hard place.

hmmbrdzz

A

aahlee

out of work, and living on the finer side of town

Geez man doesnt your MIL have any MORALS?????

living on the finer side of town she could have been a High priced call girl, aka prostiute and would pobably never have gotten caught.... she aint to bright.. huh?

S

smcelroy

I really feel sorry for your mother. I am going through something like that myself and just to let you know don't listen to ashlee. Whoever that is has nothng positive to say about anything. She has called me trailer trash and she has no idea who I am. From my experience she needs a lawyer. A lawyer can either get her off or tell her to cooperate. Mine told me to cooperate and if I didn't I would get time. I cooperated but right now I would like to change some things I said I did. I lied and admitted to doing whatever they told me I did because I was told to but something came up that may haunt me. Go to this sight that someone told me about and read www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/snitch/cases/html
Good luck to you and your mom. I will keep you in my prayers.

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi smcelroy: I have tried to pull up that site by copy and paste. It keeps telling me I can't access it, and it's pulling up a PBS site instead. Will you try to give that site info again. I'm sure the poster would like to see it (and so would I).

hmmbrdzz

smcelroy said:
I really feel sorry for your mother. I am going through something like that myself and just to let you know don't listen to ashlee. Whoever that is has nothng positive to say about anything. She has called me trailer trash and she has no idea who I am. From my experience she needs a lawyer. A lawyer can either get her off or tell her to cooperate. Mine told me to cooperate and if I didn't I would get time. I cooperated but right now I would like to change some things I said I did. I lied and admitted to doing whatever they told me I did because I was told to but something came up that may haunt me. Go to this sight that someone told me about and read www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/snitch/cases/html
Good luck to you and your mom. I will keep you in my prayers.

S

smcelroy

I pull it up. Someone gave it to me on email. Try it again but leave off the html and see if it works. There are some things on there that I have read I wish I could have read earlier. I know how they feel. Even though I have a prior record my record was withheld adjudication. I guess that didn't do me any good. I have not done anything since that time. I was trying to make something of myself by attending college and doing well. I had just turned 16 and now I am 25. I just knew many people because of being from a small town and knowing everyone. I will have to just leave everything in God's hands unless someone can come up with something. They wanted to get back at me for something my brother did to them.

H

hmmbrdzz

Hey - I got it now. Looks interesting. I'll read it in a few. Stay in college. You'll be glad you did. I'm glad I was NOT 16 in the 90's or in the 2000's. When I was 16, it was the early 70's. Lots of stuff to get in trouble over -- just didn't get caught, at least not by the law! (I ran too fast -- just joking, not really!) It was WAY different back then. My kid's close to your age, and I count my lucky stars above he got through his teens and early 20s without getting into serious trouble, which -- for kids today -- just isn't too hard to do (getting in serious trouble). Stay in college. Don't do anymore drugs. Make your life the best it can be. You've got only one chance at it. So live it like you do. Stay in college. (I can't say it enough!)

hmmbrdzz

L

lag06

Thanks!

Thank you all for your advice, I did hear that these investigators can keep this on-going for up to 3 years? I don't know if this is true or not but we will look into.

And Yes aahlee or whatever your name is, my MIL is not too bright, but the people that surround her today are, and that's all she needs. If you can take your negative energy and reciprocate it , you may be taken seriously. However your pessimistic, downbeat overtones are signs of anger and distrust. You may consider psychological assistance to alleviate the bitterness that you express so effortlessly.

Remember, it takes little effort to criticize, and in contrast it takes a lot of focus and concentration to be constructive and resolve problems.

As for the rest of you, thanks again, I do appreciate the input that was shared. It sounds like the logical thing for us to do is visit that lawyer (whatever the cost) and get this resolved. Good luck to you all and keep sharing the wealth of knowledge.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">