• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't know what to do....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kaitlynmay5

I live in Texas. I used to live in California in the county of Riverside. I came down here for a family emergency. Well me and my husband were having problems before that happened. However, as I was before to arrive home, my husband informed me not to go back to California.

Our daughter is 18 months. What kind of rights does he have? I mean I don't keep him from her. But he told me he would like to pick her up and take her back to California with him for 4 weeks. Is that right? And he has informed me also because I do stay here at home with my daughter.. that is a luxury. If I did go to work..then he wouldn't get so much child support taken out?

i was informed that when i had to be here in texas for 6 months before i could file for a divorce. well that 6 months is coming up. and we both still want the divorce. but he gets in his moods that he will start threatning me with things and start saying about me being not a good mother. what do i do?

K

kaitlynmay5

Thanks momma_tiger. Yeah..I have been sweet talking him.. this whole time. But he has no money to do it. So it's approaching six months..so i as long as I keep just playing it cool..Can I ask you why though =)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not sure what youre "why" addresses, but will assume why should you file first.

If he files in CA, you will have to get a local attorney to represent you, and you will have to travel there for any court appearances. CA law will govern your divorce settlement - assets, debts, custody, etc. If you file in TX, you can do everything locally, and he'll have to travel.

K

kaitlynmay5

Thank You...

Well I talked with legal aid today...and I have to call on Thursday.. And so I can hold him off..heehee =) Thank you..have a happy holiday..:)

S

stargazer5050

To Kaitlyn-California/Texas

I read your post and have a similar situation where my husband abandoned our residence w/o my knowledge while I was in Texas at the hospital with my ill mother. I now live in Texas and get no alimony and a divorce hasn't been filed in CA yet. What did legal aid tell you about spousal support? Did your husband appear for any of the court hearings? If not, how did the court rule?

Any advice will be helpful as I'm trying to decide whether or not to file here in Texas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">