• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth Certificates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

John Galt

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

I am on two out of the three birth certificates of my daughters and I was told by my last lawyer that it did not matter for the third because of the fact that I have been recognized in the divorce papers as being her father.

I raise the question because I have heard that if anything were to happen to the ex wife, I would have trouble gaining custody of the third child due to my name not on her birth certificate.

Can the court force the ex to put me on the birth cert. or is what my last lawyer said true?

In a nutshell, the ex came into the picture with 2 children 3mnths and 3yrs. I adopted the oldest and my name was put on the birth certificate, and I signed for the baby (not bio mine) using paperwork that I thought was correct.

My lawyer chuckled when I told him that I wanted my name on the BC. I let him know that it was a matterof principle and he also found this amusing. The time that I have spent in this child's life makes me the "equitable" parent and that's fine. I want no problems for her if something were to happen to me.
Will she have trouble collecting her share of my SS if I pass seeing how I am not on the BC?

The oldest I adopted after her bio did one line too long.
Since he did not put his name on the bc at the second's birth, it left it open. Yes I believe you are correct in me having to adopt the second for my name on the bc.

If the ex contests, what can I do?

Does it matter if I am on the bc, only in principle. Will it change me towards my child if I'm not on the bc, never.If the ex contests, what can I do?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">