• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's 'estate', greedy sis'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tamiart

What is the name of your state? Virginia
My Dad died approximately 8 years ago. My brother and I are his natural children, however he was the kind of guy that accepted all children born to my Mom before they split. My sister had ingratiated herself to him and our family in Texas. She was the only one who could afford to visit him and she has always done this sort of thing to be where she feels she may gain financially. He's been living in Texas since he and my Mom split 40 years ago, until he passed. I believe they are divorced. My Dad has a wife that survived him. She is living in his home of 40+ years in Austin, Texas.
My Dad has always told us that when he passed, what little he had would be split between us kids. It was obvious that my sister and my step mom at the time of his death did not want us to pry or investigate into my Dad's affairs. My sister was made executor of his estate, I think. She says so anyway. I was made aware by a friend from Texas that children , even adult children can't be cut entirely out of their parents will. I don't think my Dad intended that. It appears however that my sister has made the decision to cut my brothers andme out of his estate when the step mom passes. My Dad had a will that provided for his wife to live in the house until she passed and then his estate would go to his children in equal shares.
Can my sister just cut us out because she was executor of his estate? I know my Dad would not have wanted that. What can we do to prevent her from further control? She lives in Maryland. Do all of my deceased Dad's children have rights to his estate?

A

aahlee

So what have you been doing all those years not to vist him.HUH?

Shame on you....now you want his money...I think you are the greedy one.

Just think in the last 8 years the 2 of you couldn't even save enough to afford to hire a lawyer, to see if you can do anything, or at least get a straight answer.

What on earth were you doing?

Last edited:

kat1963

Louisiana is the only state that forces parent-to-child inheritance. In TX it would help only if you were a minor at the time.
KAT
Edited for: If he left the house to his wife (as most do), it would be her property now...she would be free to will it however she wished.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">