• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

allowing name changes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kaccey

What is the name of your state ny
i have two children from my first marriage. i am remarried and would like my children to have my new last name. is it legal for me to hyphenate their last name? i know my ex will not allow formal adoption. this is also what my children want so they feel like they "fit in" as we don't live near my ex.

CMSC

You can go to court and ask to change their names legally. The judge will decide based on your ex's actions whether or not it would be appropriate.

I am going to do this in Feb. of next year. I have grounds to, my ex lives around the corner and hasn't seen his kids in over a year and just now started paying support. I don't know how old your children are but it also depends on how long they have used their birth name.

My kids use my husbands name on their own. My daughter is allowed by her teacher to use it as well, but the school and doctor records have to have her birth name on them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">