• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After the divorce/alimony killer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rlwarren2000

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My wife and I were divorced in 1998. Our divorce was completely my fault. Adultery. She filed for divorce and due to my guilt, I did nothing to stop or change the agreement her attorney set up. It allowed for her to receive alimony and at the onset was not outrageous. When we no longer had any children to support, the child support ended, but her alimony increased by about 40% or more. As I received increase, she would get the same increase percentage that I received. I was working a good job at the time and although did not complain, thought I was paying too much. In October of 2001, I was laid off from my job and was out of work until September. I basically lived off of my 401k. I not once missed a payment. Now I am working at a job making 30% less than before due to the market. Needless to say, I am not able to make my bills. I am not able to make up my retirement, yet my ex-wife is not moving on this. She is threatening to take me to court if I miss a payment. I am in at a loss. I know the Va law states because this was set up as a personal agreement, it cannot be changed, but I am at the mercy of the courts here. WHAT CAN I DO?????

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

NOT A DAMN THING! - - until you file for a modification of the support, which is not a guarantee. But, even if you're fortunate to receive a reduction order, it will more than likely be a "step-down" order, giving your ex-wife time to adjust to the new, lowered, level of income.

Either that, or get a higher-paying job . . .

IAAL

Last edited:
R

rlwarren2000

Modification of Support

I filed an abatement, and was informed because our agreement was made outside of court, no adjustment could be made without the approval of my ex-wife. Is this true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">