• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need annulment advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amoore

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
I was married August 16, 2002 to a wonderful person - found out in October that he is manic depressive (bipolar). He was incapacitated for 4 weeks due to severe depression, now he is manic and I am scared. I made him move out last night. He did not reveal to me before we got married that he was bipolar - he only said "I get down sometimes". Do I have grounds for an annulment? Do I have a time period to do it in (i.e. 90 days)? What else do I need to do.

Help!!!!!
amoore

Whyte Noise

This may be just my opinion, but I'm going to say it anyways...

You say you married a "wonderful person". Four months later, you want to divorce this "wonderful person" or get an annulment.

Does he get treatment? Has he ever gotten it? Is he on meds? (Such as Zoloft, Lithium, Xanax, Paxil, Klonopin, Effexor, Depakote etc.) Believe it or not, that wonderful person is still there. Sometimes you just have to find it again.

I speak from experience. I've had anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and bi-polar for over 13 years. Manic episodes, believe it or not, are just as hard for the person having them as they are for the person seeing them. Trust me, it's not that he LIKES treating you any differently. I personally feel like crap and guilty as hell for the way I act towards my SO sometimes. He shouldn't suffer because of my problems. But he's stood by me.

Perhaps you might want to educate yourself on bi-polar. Research caregiver websites on the web. Talk to him. Talk to his psychiatrist if he has one. If not, then get him in to see one. It's very easily controlled with medications and therapy. But don't just give up on the "wonderful person" you married. If you loved him enough to marry him just 4 short months ago, then you should love him enough to help him when he needs it, not just walk away. I believe that the requirement you're trying to get an annulment on is "mental capacity". Being bi-polar doesn't mean you don't have the mental capacity to enter into a marriage. Bi-polar wouldn't qualify under that at all. In order to get an annulment the marriage would have to be void to begin with. Things such as.... he was still married to someone else at that time you married him, you're related, that he didn't have the mental capacity to enter into a marriage contract, one of you were under the age of consent in your state, lack of physical capacity to have sexual intercourse..... In any case, him having bi-polar disorder, in and of itself, is no reason for an annulment.

If you'd like to E-mail me, feel free to. My addy is [email protected] But don't just give up on the man because of his problem. There must have been something you loved about him if you married him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">