• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question regarding prior misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Leslie8672

What is the name of your state? missouri

I am getting ready to send in my application to an agency for international adoption as a single parent applicant. 12 years ago I received a misdemeanor in the state of kansas (where I had lived for 3 years) because of a check that had been returned against my bank account. ( I had closed my account and moved out of state to Texas, and did not realize until it was too late that I had any outstanding checks before closing the account). I immediately made full restitution and paid all fines and court costs but it was too late to prevent having this on my record. Now I am scared to death that this will prevent me from being able to adopt. Before then and since then my record was exemplary - nothing more than a minor speeding ticket. Will this show up on my criminal background report and/or the FBI reports required for my homestudy? I appreciate any advice anyone can give - this is the only thing holding me back from sending in my application. :(

D

dorenephilpot

I do not know the laws in your state, but in Indiana, there's a list of crimes that you must disclose if you committed them that might keep you from adopting.

Luckily, your crime isn't on our list of the baddies.

Check with an attorney in your state, but I would strongly suspect that your one indiscretion isn't sufficient to ruin your quest to adopt.

Best of luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">