• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title to car has ex-wifes name on it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mezike1

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was divorced in the fall of 1998. My wife moved from our home in Mo. to PA. with the man she was having an affair with. She filled for divorce in PA. "No Fault". There was no division of property due to her taking what she wanted without me disputing. We got our auto loans refinanced to get our names off each others cars. I signed her title at the lien holder’s office and she was supposed to follow suit. The car was refinanced in my name only but the title was never changed. The Bank holding the title is in Missouri, so the car is titled in Missouri. I moved over 3 years ago to Ohio and had to put the car in storage because I could not title the car in Ohio due to her not removing her name from the title. Now I have to get rid of the car and cannot. I do not know how to contact her and I’m sure she would be less then helpful if I did. I know she didn’t have any interest in the car when we were divorced. The state of Ohio will not title the car unless she either sends me a power of attorney letter to sign her name or she appears in person with a valid Ohio’s driver’s license. Neither which are feasible. The bank the car loan is thru claims they cannot remove her name without her sending a written, notarized request, again, not going to happen. I have a address for her but the phone number at that address is disconnected and the letters I send are never returned. Do I have any legal ground to remove her name from my car title so I can at least drive the car? I have made over 12,000 dollars in payment while it has sat in storage. Both Ohio and Missouri are telling me I can do nothing without her intervention. Please Help..

P

phatcat42141

If the title states and/or on it then you can remove her name without her signing the title. If it states and you also can remove her name. If it states or you cant without her signing the title.
Hope this helps

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
phatcat42141 said:
If it states and you also can remove her name. If it states or you cant without her signing the title.
Hope this helps
I suspect this is the other way around. "AND" means BOTH must sign to have it sold, retitled, etc. "OR" means EITHER may have it sold, retitled, etc.

OP - does the MSA state that you will get this car free & clear from her? With the car info specified (i.e. VIN, make, model, etc)? That may be enough to have the car retitled.

O

oberauerdorf

Stealth is correct.

AND requires BOTH signatures. OR requires either one or the other.

P

phatcat42141

man I gotta quit staying awake for so long lol I tend to post things backwards . sorry about that

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">