• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unluckyinlove

What is the name of your state? California
My wife and have been spereated since august. My question/rights is what if she is dating and gets pregnant during this seperation, am i responsable at all.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

unluckyinlove said:
What is the name of your state? California
My wife and have been spereated since august. My question/rights is what if she is dating and gets pregnant during this seperation, am i responsable at all.

My response:

Only if you and she start living together again, and the child is conceived while so living together - - not necessarily by you. If that were to happen, California "presumes" you to be the father - - unless you are impotent or sterile. Subject to Ca Fam § 7541 (expert conclusions based on blood tests showing otherwise), the child of a wife cohabiting at time of conception with her husband, who is not impotent or sterile, is "conclusively" presumed to be a child of the marriage. [Ca Fam § 7540; see Michael H. v. Gerald D. (1989) 491 U.S. 110, 129-130, 109 S.Ct. 2333, 2345 - - upholding presumption's facial constitutionality; compare Dawn D. v. Super.Ct. (Jerry K.) (1998) 17 Cal.4th 932, 935, 72 Cal.Rptr.2d 871, 872--§ 7540 presumption inapplicable where spouses not cohabiting--i.e., living together as husband and wife--at time of conception]

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">