• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dinacarol

What is the name of your state? hi im from indiana. we have permanant custody of our granddaughter.but we are wanting to adopt her. our daughter was never married to the father.she passed away when the baby was 2 .the father continues to see her but does not pay child support. he has agread to let us adopt her but he would like for her last name to the same .but i do not know if that is possible. he would like to also be given some kind of visitation. :confused: help me please

Seanscott

If you adopt her, then you become the parent and he has absolutely no say in visitation, name change, or ANYTHING else.

D

dinacarol

thank you seanscott for your imfo. i am still wondering though if it is possable to give him some kind of visitation? we are willing to do this. i know that in open adoptions that there are some visitation alowed.he is wanting some kind of legal document to know that he can see her .

D

dorenephilpot

Yes, you can adopt the child.

Yes, the child can keep the same name, if that's what you want.

You can always give him visits if you want. There is nothing to stop you from doing that, if you choose.

He, however, would have no enforceable rights, unless there's a Post-Adoption Contact Agreement, if things should go sour in your relationship with him and you decide not to let him see the child at some point in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">