• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Here I go again........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hurtcarole

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Divorced for 8 years, found out by chance the car my ex was awarded but had a loan on is still owed........I understand I am obligated as he is, but had not heard a thing, the Judge ordered him to get the car and the car stood for the debt. Per the Judge I was not responsible for the debt. And it was my understanding he would have to pay for the car.

Only $2,000 was owed, now it is $10,000. With the order given an attorney is going to try and make him pay it, but how? Again, I am paying up front for the attorney and the attorney hopes to make him pay me back.............When does this quit, or does it ever????? I know the car has to be paid, he has some assets that would total up to $10,000 if he sold them, but I know he will not. What do you or anyone here think will happen or could happen to make him pay that debt?

He has the car still too! It is still worth $5000 per the NADA, which is a low amount at the worst .

I also know I am opening a can of worms, but I cannot afford to pay this debt and will soon be on social security, currently I am disabled and found about this when I purchased a car from my workmens compensation settlement. He owed taxes on it and had not paid for them this year. I paid the meager amount to get my car licensed. Researched the debt, called him to try and see what he would or would not do, and all he said after listening to the problem which I calmly told him, "I will take care of you later". That has always been the way it was for the last 10 years of a 35 year marriage. His threats will start again, especially when he finds out we are going into court over this, and I am not sure whether he will carry any of those threats out or not.

I have some independence, but still feel controlled by him, but am trying to do this legally.........What can the court make him do?

Appreciate any thought on this and what can be the outcome.....can he go to jail? That would be an ultimate problem for me...

Thankyou, Carole

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">